Sunday, February 17, 2013

Adding a Perspective to 'The Silence Between'

A few words of introduction

What's more difficult in a creative pursuit, making the decision to start or the act of creating itself? This is the question that comes to mind as I set down these words, words that signify the start of something I've wanted to do for a long time - but I never built up the courage to actually begin. The truth of the matter is that the hardest part of creating is actually making the decision to start. It's this first step, I think, that stops most people from pursuing what they really want. 

Before now, my excuse was that I needed some sort of justification to spend time on something as virtually unrewarding as a music blog. But after I stepped back and looked at it from a different perspective, I realized it's the furthest thing from an 'unrewarding' endeavor. These days it's really easy to under-value the opportunities we  have in our society, the incredible ease in which we can reach out and share with others - share our concerns, share our ideas, share what we love. And once this dawned on me I saw my wish to create this blog in a new light. It's simply a way for me to say, "Hey, I really enjoy this, maybe you will too;" and the ability to do this while, at the same time, supporting the amazing artists who have added so much to my life - that's more rewarding than anything material could ever be.

So without further ado, let's get to the heart of this post, and ultimately this blog. I'll say a bit about how I plan to structure my posts and what sort of content you will find as the blog progresses.


How each post will be structured  

Please understand that these first couple of months or so will be a rather dynamic period. How posts are structured now might be entirely different than next month, or even next week for that matter. As time goes on I'll continue to implement certain aspects that work well, and change what doesn't. And this development will mostly be in the hands of the readers. All I can do is furnish the posts; how they evolve depends on your feedback. So feel free to offer any suggestions as to how you would like these posts to change. I will do my absolute best to accommodate to the wishes of my readers. As for now, this is how the posts will go:

Each post will begin with an abstract. Whether it's a random thought or an idea of mine, a link to some cool shit I recently found and a few words related to it, a request or poll for people's opinion on something - it could be anything. My hope is that it will be a way for all of you, as my readers, to get to know the person is behind the screen a little better. And who knows, perhaps it will eventually lead to some meaningful relationships between us.

Following the abstract will be a paragraph or two where I mention all the artists featured in that specific post. I'll say who they are and a few interesting things about them etc.

Then comes the goodies. I'll share each track and say what I personally find to be significant about them - what they mean to me. Under each embedded track I will provide links to various sites related to the artist (personal site, facebook, soundcloud, twitter etc.) That way you can look further into a specific artist if you wish to learn more about them, or find more of their music.  

Lastly, I'll say a few closing words, and leave you with a meaningful quote. The quote might be from an author, an artist, someone I know, anyone - but credit will always be given to its origin. 


Content of the music shared: styles and genres

The majority of music shared here will have a chillout sort of vibe - melodic, mellow tunes that keep the atmosphere steady. Occasionally I'll share something more upbeat, but it will mostly consist of music you can kick back and relax to.

Genre in music today is almost obsolete, there are so many different labels you can never really single anything out specifically. Here's a quick list of genres you can expect: electronica, chillwave, downtempo, dream pop, lo-fi, post-rock, post-dubstep, chillstep, indie rock/folk/pop/synth/alternative, ambient, minimalistic, experimental, future garage, trip hop, shoegaze... You get the picture.

Alright, I believe I've covered everything I wanted to. I really look forward to getting this moving along and I hope all of you enjoy the blog. It should be fun.


Keep it real and until next time,

                            JB

No comments:

Post a Comment